New interactive, digital version of the Cooking Merit Badge Pamphlet provides Scouts with helpful advice about one of the tastiest and most useful life skills — cooking.
Digital version allows more room for added material and more experiential content, such as:
• Photo Slideshows
• Pop-up Information
This merit badge introduces principles of cooking that can be used both at home or in the outdoors. Scouts who earn this badge will learn about food safety, nutritional guidelines, meal planning, and methods of food preparation, and will review the variety of culinary (or cooking) careers available.
Requirements and activities to earn this badge include:
• Being able to explain hazards you may encounter while participating in cooking activities and how to respond
• Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur while preparing meals and eating
• Describe how various types of food should be stored, transported, and properly prepared for cooking; explain how to prevent cross-contamination
• Describe various food-related illnesses and how to help prevent each from happening
• Give examples for EACH of the food groups, recommended number of daily servings, and recommended serving sizes
• Explain why you should limit your intake of oils and sugars
• Determine your daily level of activity and your caloric need based on your activity level
• Discuss your current eating habits and what you can do to eat healthier, based on the MyPlate food guide.
• Explain how to calculate total carbohydrates and nutritional values for two servings, based on the serving size specified on labels
• Discuss various cooking methods, describe the equipment needed and name at least one food that can be cooked using that method
• Discuss the benefits of using a camp stove on an outing vs. a charcoal or wood fire; discuss how the Outdoor Code and no-trace principles pertain to cooking in the outdoors
• Plan a menu for three full days of meals, for your patrol for a camping trip and for trail hiking or backpacking
• Investigate career opportunities in cooking, including the education, training, and experience required for the profession
Contains updated content (major redesign, as Cooking Merit Badge is now required for Eagle rank). Printed version of the Cooking Merit Badge Pamphlet (SKU 617899 MBP 4C Cooking
) also available.
To view a sample chapter from the Interactive Digital Cooking Merit Badge Pamphlet, go here
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ here
Product will need internet access to play video assets.